Rollei Retro 400s HC 110 development times

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

Dan1Q84

Rollei Retro 400s HC 110 development times

Post by Dan1Q84 »

Hi folks, I'm pretty new to film photography (well, apart from when I was a kid and it was the only photography we had...) and development. I'm trying out my first roll of Rollei Retro 400s and I notice that the development time on Massive Dev Chart for HC 110 dilution B is 6 minutes 30 seconds, whereas the Rollei datasheet has it at 10 minutes. It seems like a pretty big difference, and I'm wondering where the Massive Dev Chart time comes from?

Does anyone have any experience developing this film in HC 110 that could give any advice on timings? I'm thinking I should go with what the datasheet says but I'm happy to listen to the community's experience with the film.

Cheers.

Digitaltruth
Site Admin

Re: Rollei Retro 400s HC 110 development times

Post by Digitaltruth »

Hi,

The manufacturer never published a time for this combination in the past. Can you send us your source?

The 6.5 minute time is good. It was submitted by a very experienced user and verified by other users, including example images.

As with any data, you may find that a longer time is also a useful starting point, but just because it has been published somewhere isn't a guarantee of reliability.

Please let us know how it works out. If you are worried that 6.5 minutes might be too short for some contrast situations, then run a roll in the middle at about 8 minutes and you can revise up or down for future rolls. The risk of using a longer time is that your highlights might block up, but if it is a low contrast scene then it should be safe.
Digitaltruth Photo
https://www.digitaltruth.com

Dan1Q84

Re: Rollei Retro 400s HC 110 development times

Post by Dan1Q84 »

I got the 10 minute time from this datasheet... https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... -1xUvhlnvX

For what it's worth, I decided to go with 6 minutes 30 figuring that's what's been tried and tested and the negatives came out great with nice contrast so I don't think it needs to be updated.

Thanks for the pointers though, I appreciate it.