Kranz Film DIN 4523 B20 - Need help developing

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

hirdmar

Kranz Film DIN 4523 B20 - Need help developing

Post by hirdmar »

Found an old, old exposed film in a camera I acquired. I can't seem to find any info on this film except for this little page

http://www.emtus.ch/kranz-film-din-4523-b20.html

If anyone has any idea on, what kind this is B&W or color, ASA number or Developing times / chemicals all help would be greatly appreciated

MarkJ

Re: Kranz Film DIN 4523 B20 - Need help developing

Post by MarkJ »

If you have access to Rodinal or Kodak HC-110, you can try a stand or semi-stand development. Use a dilution of 1+100 (making sure you mix enough solution up so that there is at least 3 ml of the developer), pour it into the tank, and let it stand for an hour. Dump, then stop, fix, and wash as normal. If you are antsy about not agitating, in semi-stand you do an initial agitation just as you would normally, and then another agitation at 30 minutes. You can do stand development with just about any film, temperature isn't all that critical (but try to be close to your normal temperature), and you can even develop different films in the same tank. There are probably other developers out there that you can do a stand with but I know these two work.

Alternatively, you can try Diafine, which is what I call a magic developer. You can develop almost anything in it, it only takes 3 minutes for solution A and 3 for solution B, you don't use a stop bath (just rinse), fix and wash as normal. It increases film speed which is probably needed with long expired film anyway.

I have had success with stand and Diafine development for old film found in old cameras, but recognize that 1) results are not guaranteed--you may get nothing at all, and 2) even if you do get something, it might be fogged, barely there, low quality, etc. Or, it might be great--I've had everything happen. That's the fun of doing it.

Good luck!

MarkJ

Post by MarkJ »

Your film is most likely black and white--"pan" refers to panchromatic which means it's sensitive to all colors of light and is usually applied to black and white film. Your film is quite old but still, you might get something! Even if it were color, you'd likely get results, if any are to be had, with Diafine, Rodinal, or HC-110--just not color of course.
Another thing to look out for--old roll film can be twisty and hard to handle. It could break up or tear and be impossible to load, or just really hard to load, or it could surprise you and go right into the reel. I've had all that happen too--and the last time one really old film went right onto the reel with no problem at all, I didn't get any images. Such is life!

hirdmar

Post by hirdmar »

Amazing info! Thanks for the help Ill start looking into it