Advanced querying massive dev chart

Post by alexbrown2 »

Is this possible? It would be useful to be able to execute a query such as:

Code: Select all

Developer = Ilfotec DD-X

AND Dilution = 1+4

AND Temp = 20C

AND 35 = 9 OR 120 = 9
That way I could easily see all the film stocks that have 9 min dev times (at various ISOs) so I could group rolls together for more efficient processing.

Digitaltruth
Site Admin

Re: Advanced querying massive dev chart

Post by Digitaltruth »

Hi Alex,

No one has ever suggested this before, but it seems like a good idea.

Leave it with us and we will get back to you.

Best regards,
Digitaltruth Photo
https://www.digitaltruth.com

alexbrown2

Post by alexbrown2 »

Thanks!

Digitaltruth
Site Admin

Post by Digitaltruth »

Hi Alex,

Although it is common practice and it is unlikely to cause any problem, we don't recommend the idea of mixing different films in the same developing tank because the chemicals from the different emulsions can interact and affect development.

Enabling the ability to search multiple fields with the kind of query you suggest has some security issues; however, we have enabled the ability to sort all the columns on the search results table so that if you choose a specific developer from the menu, you can now sort by dilution and then 35mm etc and see the films which can be grouped together for development. Although this is a less exact way of querying the data, in some ways it is better because you might choose to include a film which has a marginally longer or shorter time in the same batch, or if the temperature is within +/- 1 degree.

Best regards,

--Jon Mided
Digitaltruth Photo
https://www.digitaltruth.com

alexbrown2

Post by alexbrown2 »

Hi Jon,

Thanks a lot! Very helpful.

Also thanks for the tip about mixing film stocks, I'll read a bit more into that.

Thanks again, Alex.

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

Digitaltruth wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:56 am Hi Alex,

Although it is common practice and it is unlikely to cause any problem, we don't recommend the idea of mixing different films in the same developing tank because the chemicals from the different emulsions can interact and affect development.

Enabling the ability to search multiple fields with the kind of query you suggest has some security issues; however, we have enabled the ability to sort all the columns on the search results table so that if you choose a specific developer from the menu, you can now sort by dilution and then 35mm etc and see the films which can be grouped together for development. Although this is a less exact way of querying the data, in some ways it is better because you might choose to include a film which has a marginally longer or shorter time in the same batch, or if the temperature is within +/- 1 degree.

Best regards,

--Jon Mided
I doubt very much that mixing different emulsions in the same tank will affect the results, so long as they both take the same developing time. I used to work with Tri-X and FP4 precisely because they developed in the same time (3.5 mins) in Ethol UFG.