Developing HP5 plus 400 film

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

jokerinc3

Developing HP5 plus 400 film

Post by jokerinc3 »

I have a roll or two left over from my photography class (Ilford HP5 plus 400 speed) and I was wondering if you could take this film to a store to get developed (I can't develop film at my house). Since school is over...I can't develop it myself in a darkroom.

pentaxpete

Developing HP5+ 400

Post by pentaxpete »

You must find a 'professional' laboratory or the local processors will say they do only colour processing. It's really MUCH CHEAPER and EASIER to do it yourself by your home sink; you do not need a darkroom to process FILM; you can load it into the developing tank in a cupboard under the stairs in the dark then all the operations are done in the light !
Got COMPUTERISED and 'slightly Digitised Pentax K10D' but FILM STILL RULES !

3Dfan

Post by 3Dfan »

If you check Walmart's list of special services at their 1-hour photo labs, you'll find that they do process b/w, but it is sent out. The price seems much more reasonable than a typical pro-lab but I haven't tried it yet so I can't say how good a job they do.

PeanutHorst

Post by PeanutHorst »

This is why part of my photo kit is ALWAYS a Rondinax 35U

Seriously, Daylight Tanks are GOOOOOD as long as you can find a small dark space in which to load them.

Also, the chemicals for HP4/HP5/HP5+ aren't hard to come by - DK-50 would work nicely, as would ID-11 - both are simple to make up from scratch, and the formulae are listed on this site.
My cameras:

Ricoh XR-1s, 55mm SMC Pentax lense
Asahi Pentax KX, Astron 28-70mm lense
Rolleiflex 3.5C
Zeiss Ikonta
Linhoff large-format camera