bulk film spooling

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

willscarlett

bulk film spooling

Post by willscarlett »

i'm looking for somewhere that will load bulk film onto individual reels for still photography. i'm located in new york city, so if anybody knows anyplace around here, but it doesn't have to be local by any means. i already checked with B&H and they directed me here to the forums!

John-Paul

pentaxpete

Bulk Film Loading

Post by pentaxpete »

I've got dozens of good cassettes waiting to be reloaded BUT I am in UK!
I sit on the darkroom floor, lay out cassettes in a row (try not to knock them over in the dark!) with their sticky tape open ready, then open the bullk film tin, pull up some film, attach it to the spool tape, then wind it keeping the roll in the tin between my legs to guide it, then when I feel the film is the same width as the spool flange I cut it and re-assemble the cassette. I find this gives a good accurate 36 shot reload very quickly. Pity I am too far away to demonstrate and I haven't got a web-cam so you can see it on computer! regards......Peter. PS I love your frozen Yoghourt in USA .
Got COMPUTERISED and 'slightly Digitised Pentax K10D' but FILM STILL RULES !

zonejumper

Post by zonejumper »

Hi, I used to buy my 35 mm film in 100 foot rolls. There are bulk film loaders that once you have put the 100 foot roll inside using a changing bag, you can load film into the cassettes in daylight. These used to be real cheap, and had they a counter on the side that would tell you how many frames of film you have wound up into the reusable cassette. Just cut the film off with come sizzers and your ready for the next roll. I am pretty sure that you will want to do it yourself once you see how easy the bulk film loader is to use. Yea, you do lose a couple inches of film each time you go to load a cassette, but it will be great when all you want to do is shoot 5 to 10 frames of something, and you don't have to waste 15 or 20 frames of film. You just have to remember that the last couple of frames in the cassette are not usable. Look into a bulk loader if you can.