D76/ID11, both a few years old. Still usable?

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

michielp

D76/ID11, both a few years old. Still usable?

Post by michielp »

Hi All,

I have got a patch of both D76 and ID11, which are both a few years old. (they are well kept: not humid, not to warm)

Are they still usable? Or how can I test this?

pirateoversixty

ID-11/D-76

Post by pirateoversixty »

D-76 is cheap, at least here in the states. Pitch it. I must confess, though, that I have used ID-11 that is at least a year old, diluted 1:3 with good results. If you have too much time on your hands, you could shoot maybe 7-10 frames of 35 mm, snip it in your darkroom and process it. If the developer is starting to turn color, it is probably shot.
Jim

michielp

Post by michielp »

I should mention that both packages are still unopened. Does it make a difference, when unopened?

Keith Tapscott.

Post by Keith Tapscott. »

michielp wrote:I should mention that both packages are still unopened. Does it make a difference, when unopened?
The best way to find out, would be to mix one pack or the other. Check to see if there are any signs of the stock-solution looking an odd colour as D-76/ID-11 should look clear. I hope it works well for you.

pentaxpete

Old ID11

Post by pentaxpete »

If the package is unopened it will be OK to use as I use very old chemicals and they still work from powders.
Got COMPUTERISED and 'slightly Digitised Pentax K10D' but FILM STILL RULES !

PeanutHorst

Post by PeanutHorst »

the D-76 should work just fine. I've used D-76 powder from 20 years ago to no ill effect.

ID-11 is very chemically similar to D-76, so I'd hazard a guess and say that will be fine too.
My cameras:

Ricoh XR-1s, 55mm SMC Pentax lense
Asahi Pentax KX, Astron 28-70mm lense
Rolleiflex 3.5C
Zeiss Ikonta
Linhoff large-format camera

foolscape

Post by foolscape »

I currently am making Ansco 130 from ancient cans (I'm guessing late 1950's or early 1960's) of Kodak DK-60a, adding glycin and extra chems to make the correct ratios. It works just fine. I paid $2.00 at a yard sale for 30 cans of the stuf.

--Gary