contaminated fix stains

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

flip

contaminated fix stains

Post by flip »

hi there,
I have just processed some Kodak Tri-X400 120mm in Patterson tanks, using fresh Tmax developer diluted to the correct working solution, plain water stop bath and what i thought was fresh fix. Unfortunately, (i teach in an art school), it appears that some of my students have contaminated the fix, and not dared to tell me. I don't know what it has been contaminated with, possibly just water. When I realised the problem, I mixed fresh Agfa fix to the working solution, and started re-fixing the films. Some of the films have fixed to a clear base without showing any staining, but across others there are visible stains, a bit like uneven development stains (I'm confident that I can discount this as the problem).
I would really like to get rid of the stains, as I'm not able to re-shoot the images; so does anyone have any suggestions how to clear up the staining? I can't find anything about this problem on the web, neither have I come across it before in 10 years professional and commercial darkroom experience. I can of course scan the images and digitally remove the problem, but that's not the point!
Thanks

pentaxpete

Stains

Post by pentaxpete »

If they are magenta stains that is common with T-Max films; they require extra fixing time and a good wash to remove the colour from the base.
Just noticed: you said the film was TRI-X: well, it may be that you have exposed it to bright light then done the re-fixing,but in the meantime the unfixed silver halides have started to turn brown by the action of light.
Got COMPUTERISED and 'slightly Digitised Pentax K10D' but FILM STILL RULES !