leaving top bay empty in developing tank

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

Justin

leaving top bay empty in developing tank

Post by Justin »

In an effort to promote better agitation and more even development, I'm experimenting with leaving the top bay empty in my tank and using slightly less developer.
Just wanted to canvass opinion as to whether i should put an empty spiral in the top or leave it out, allowing the full spirals to ride up and down the tank during agitation.
I'm sure this has been covered before but any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Ornello

Re: leaving top bay empty in developing tank

Post by Ornello »

Justin wrote:In an effort to promote better agitation and more even development, I'm experimenting with leaving the top bay empty in my tank and using slightly less developer.
Just wanted to canvass opinion as to whether i should put an empty spiral in the top or leave it out, allowing the full spirals to ride up and down the tank during agitation.
I'm sure this has been covered before but any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
The tank should always be filled almost completely, leaving a small void of air to allow agitation. Agitatioin should be GENTLE, with one or two GENTLE inversions per minute. DO NOT shake the tank, ever. Invert it and rotate it as you invert.

bsdunek

Post by bsdunek »

Additionally, I recommend you put an empty reel on top of the one with film. This will avoid film sloshing too much which can cause streaking on the film.
Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away
Bruce