Pushing Delta 100 or FP4 to 400

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

josh.c

Pushing Delta 100 or FP4 to 400

Post by josh.c »

I'm in a bit of a jam (little cousin got hold of my HP5 and exposed several rolls, thinking they were some form of ribbon or something).

So, I'm going to be forced to push my FP4 125 to 400 unless I take an hour long trip down to town and then trek back.

So - is it worth the trek to get that film, or will the FP4 come out alright?

I also have some Delta 100 which I could try pushing if you think I'm going to have better luck with that.

Finally, I brought some just in case Superia 200 (which I haven't shot a roll of yet due to a love of black and white). So finally, anyone ever tried pushing any Superia 200 to 400?

Oh what I'd give for a a few rolls of Tri-X and HP5 right now.

Appreciated

(note to self, run more tests on films before committing to them)

Fotohuis

Post by Fotohuis »

Depending for the quality you are expecting I can not really recommend to expose the FP4+ on iso 400 and do push processing. If it's a matter of picture or no pictures at all you CAN do it.

Consumer superia 200 on 400 with 1F push processing I can not recommend either but if necessary you can do it and bring it to a pro lab who can do the modified C41 processing.

Maybe it's possible for you to expose the FP4+ on iso 250 and use a Diafine development. In that case you have still pretty good negatives and some speed advantage:
http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl/documentatie ... -1_BKA.pdf
"De enige beperking in je fotografie ben je zelf"

http://www.FotohuisRoVo.nl
http://gallery.fotohuisrovo.nl/

Ornello

Re: Pushing Delta 100 or FP4 to 400

Post by Ornello »

josh.c wrote:I'm in a bit of a jam (little cousin got hold of my HP5 and exposed several rolls, thinking they were some form of ribbon or something).

So, I'm going to be forced to push my FP4 125 to 400 unless I take an hour long trip down to town and then trek back.

So - is it worth the trek to get that film, or will the FP4 come out alright?

I also have some Delta 100 which I could try pushing if you think I'm going to have better luck with that.

Finally, I brought some just in case Superia 200 (which I haven't shot a roll of yet due to a love of black and white). So finally, anyone ever tried pushing any Superia 200 to 400?

Oh what I'd give for a a few rolls of Tri-X and HP5 right now.

Appreciated

(note to self, run more tests on films before committing to them)
Seriosly, there's no point in pushing a medium-speed film. Very fast films can be upped a little, but not medium-speed films. You'll simply get junk.

pentaxpete

Pushing FP4

Post by pentaxpete »

Years ago in 'Practical Photography' magazine they brought out the 'FFDD' technique ie Fast Film Dilute Development where you dilute ID11 1+4 and give the films about 40 mins at 60oF with not much agitation. I did get some good results on HP3 at the circus but have not tried it on moden FP4 emulsions.
Got COMPUTERISED and 'slightly Digitised Pentax K10D' but FILM STILL RULES !

circleofconfusion

Post by circleofconfusion »

Pushing FP4 is not really a recommended thing to do but it's far from a disaster. If the shots you are after are important I'd suffer the long drive and pick up some proper fast film.

I recently had to push FP4 to 400 as I had set the ASA on my camera incorrectly. D'oh! I found I actually quite liked the results so I've done the same thing a few times since.

I don't have my notes handy but I think the time worked out around 10 minutes in Ilfosol-S.
---
"I love the smell of fixer in the morning...."
www.silverhalide.co.uk

johnkpap

Post by johnkpap »

I have had the best results pushing FP4+

I have found that the best Developer for this to be good old D76/ID11
use it at the lowest ratio of 3+1. There is a formula to calculate the Dev time but states :-increase time by 10 to 15% for each stop.

I normally give it 20 % to make sure !!

I have pushed FP4 up to 1000 ASA !!! and was still able to get a good print up to 8x10

At 400 asa there will be more grain than normal but should be fine at 8x10.

I have managed to get better results from pushed FP4 than Tmax 400 Sometimes.

Don't Push Delta more than 1 stop it goes very grainy and is not as forgiving as FP4.

Don't Ever be afraid to try something new out :-Unless you Are Being Paid to do a job wher you must get a good result.