TX 400 develop in KODAK TECHNIDOL

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

JERZY
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:01 pm
Location: POLAND/ currently Sultanate of Oman
Contact:

TX 400 develop in KODAK TECHNIDOL

Post by JERZY » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:16 pm

Hello all users !!

My name is Jerzy (George) Wierzbicki and I come from Poland. I am profesional photographer and artist. 80% my works is traditional B/W photography. I have one important question. Maybe somebody used TECHNIDOL developer with KODAK TX 400 (120)? In my contry everybody all the time used D 76 developer with fast films only, and nobody can help me. I need full tonal negative with small grain.
( Sorry of my english Iam not native speaker)

best regards JW :D


Ornello
Posts: 875
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:49 am

Re: TX 400 develop in KODAK TECHNIDOL

Post by Ornello » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:54 pm

JERZY wrote:Hello all users !!

My name is Jerzy (George) Wierzbicki and I come from Poland. I am profesional photographer and artist. 80% my works is traditional B/W photography. I have one important question. Maybe somebody used TECHNIDOL developer with KODAK TX 400 (120)? In my contry everybody all the time used D 76 developer with fast films only, and nobody can help me. I need full tonal negative with small grain.
( Sorry of my english Iam not native speaker)

best regards JW :D
Not a good choice. It was intended for Technical Pan film (which is a high-contrast document film), and this developer gives very low contrast with conventional films.

JERZY
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:01 pm
Location: POLAND/ currently Sultanate of Oman
Contact:

Post by JERZY » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:01 pm

thank You.

yes I now that TX with Technidol is not popular combo. But if I will take pictures with high contrast weather develop in Technidol developer give me optimal efect? Generaly I used Hc 110 or D76/ID 11 developer for TX film but I need very fine grain now.

Ornello
Posts: 875
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:49 am

Post by Ornello » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:12 pm

JERZY wrote:thank You.

yes I now that TX with Technidol is not popular combo. But if I will take pictures with high contrast weather develop in Technidol developer give me optimal efect? Generaly I used Hc 110 or D76/ID 11 developer for TX film but I need very fine grain now.
No, don't use it at all. The results will not be acceptable. Technidol is not a fine-grain developer in any case. It is a low-contrast developer for document films.

Tri-X should not produce noticeable grain up to 8x12 inches. If it does, you're probably over-developing the film. I made 11x14 prints from Tri-X 30 years ago in which the grain scarcely could be seen.

Fotohuis
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:25 pm
Location: the Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Fotohuis » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:16 pm

I agree with above comments.
TX film but I need very fine grain now
SPUR HRX-2 will be a good choice. Especially developed for getting very fine grain.
http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl/documentatie ... ars_en.pdf

http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl/documentatie ... 0HRX-2.pdf
Another alternative: CG512 (but on 24 degrees C, an ultra fine grain depth developer).
http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl/documentatie ... ltabel.pdf


http://shop.fotohuisrovo.nl/index.php?cPath=31_37
"De enige beperking in je fotografie ben je zelf"

http://www.FotohuisRoVo.nl
http://gallery.fotohuisrovo.nl/

JERZY
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:01 pm
Location: POLAND/ currently Sultanate of Oman
Contact:

Post by JERZY » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:22 pm

OK, fine.
when I used standards developer for all high speed film s like HP5+, TX400 or Ilford Pan 400 I have big grain in bigger pictures (32x40 inches). Now I need take image with small grain. What is your suggestion? What kind of developer I should used for TX 400?

Keith Tapscott.
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:58 am
Location: Plymouth, England.

Post by Keith Tapscott. » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:32 pm

JERZY wrote:OK, fine.
when I used standards developer for all high speed film s like HP5+, TX400 or Ilford Pan 400 I have big grain in bigger pictures (32x40 inches). Now I need take image with small grain. What is your suggestion? What kind of developer I should used for TX 400?
For finer grain, it would probably be better to use a film of a lower ISO rating such as FP4 Plus, Plus-X, also consider using one of the newer generation of films such as Kodak T-Max, Ilford Delta and Fuji Acros as these have inherently finer grain with out the need for special fine grain developers.

Ornello
Posts: 875
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:49 am

Post by Ornello » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:33 pm

JERZY wrote:OK, fine.
when I used standards developer for all high speed film s like HP5+, TX400 or Ilford Pan 400 I have big grain in bigger pictures (32x40 inches). Now I need take image with small grain. What is your suggestion? What kind of developer I should used for TX 400?
D-76 (and the similar ID-11) is excellent all-around product.

If you need even finer grain, use a slower film, such as T-Max 100, Delta 100, Neopan Acros 100, FP4, or Plus-X.

Fotohuis
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:25 pm
Location: the Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Fotohuis » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:43 pm

ID11/D76 is indeed an allrounder but it depends much on your roll film format.
The finest grain you will find in Fuji Acros 100 and then with a developer which gives max. profit of the Sigma technology: e.g. SPUR SD2525.
A very nice combination. If you want the lowest grain you have to go to Rollei PAN 25 or Ilford PAN F (iso 50).
Rollei PAN 25 is SUPER in the Amaloco AM50; a non-staining pyrocatechin developer, SUPER sharp!
In fact only an advantage on 35mm with reasonable differences. On a 6x7cm roll film format the differences are rather small, in fact when using Acros on iso 64 in SD2525 the grain will be hardly different than Rollei PAN 25 on iso 25.
The differences between Delta 100, Tmax 100 and Acros 100 are not so big. It's often what your habit is and what is/was available in the past.
Good photograpic work is not depending on grain only. Mostly more on reproducibility!

We are sending worldwide.
"De enige beperking in je fotografie ben je zelf"

http://www.FotohuisRoVo.nl
http://gallery.fotohuisrovo.nl/

JERZY
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:01 pm
Location: POLAND/ currently Sultanate of Oman
Contact:

Post by JERZY » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:50 pm

plus X 125 is not attainable in Poland.
Yes I know that. If I need high resolution and fine grain pictures before photo session I used Ilford pan F 50 or APX 25 ( I have last rolls :cry: :cry: ) but now my customer need maximal fine image and told me this after session. I tried to develop TX on D76 (1+5 dilution) but final efect was beautiful tonal but grain was to much.
B.R JW

Ornello
Posts: 875
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:49 am

Post by Ornello » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:58 pm

JERZY wrote:plus X 125 is not attainable in Poland.
Yes I know that. If I need high resolution and fine grain pictures before photo session I used Ilford pan F 50 or APX 25 ( I have last rolls :cry: :cry: ) but now my customer need maximal fine image and told me this after session. I tried to develop TX on D76 (1+5 dilution) but final efect was beautiful tonal but grain was to much.
B.R JW
Try Neopan 100, Delta 100, or T-Max 100. Expose them at 50, not 100. Develop for about 2/3 recommended times in D-76 1:1.* Just do this. Don't do anything else. Run tests first, of course, before your critical assignment. This should simplify your testing.

*If the sheet calls for 9 minutes, use 6-6.5 at most.

JERZY
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:01 pm
Location: POLAND/ currently Sultanate of Oman
Contact:

Post by JERZY » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:28 pm

Ornello wrote:
JERZY wrote:plus X 125 is not attainable in Poland.
Yes I know that. If I need high resolution and fine grain pictures before photo session I used Ilford pan F 50 or APX 25 ( I have last rolls :cry: :cry: ) but now my customer need maximal fine image and told me this after session. I tried to develop TX on D76 (1+5 dilution) but final efect was beautiful tonal but grain was to much.
B.R JW
Try Neopan 100, Delta 100, or T-Max 100. Expose them at 50, not 100. Develop for about 2/3 recommended times in D-76 1:1.* Just do this. Don't do anything else. Run tests first, of course, before your critical assignment. This should simplify your testing.

*If the sheet calls for 9 minutes, use 6-6.5 at most.
Ornello
Have You tried to develop high quality film like Neopan 100 or Delta 100 with bigger dillution? Last year I saw in exhibition large format B/W pictures (80 x110 cm) with perfect grade tonal and small grain. I asked author about "secret proccesing". He answered. " I used to 6x7 Mamiya camera and FP4+ film. Develop in D76 1+7 dillution. Final efect is rich tonal negative with all details in dark part and soft hight lights". What Do you think about this??
JW

Ornello
Posts: 875
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:49 am

Post by Ornello » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:39 pm

JERZY wrote:
Ornello wrote:
JERZY wrote:plus X 125 is not attainable in Poland.
Yes I know that. If I need high resolution and fine grain pictures before photo session I used Ilford pan F 50 or APX 25 ( I have last rolls :cry: :cry: ) but now my customer need maximal fine image and told me this after session. I tried to develop TX on D76 (1+5 dilution) but final efect was beautiful tonal but grain was to much.
B.R JW
Try Neopan 100, Delta 100, or T-Max 100. Expose them at 50, not 100. Develop for about 2/3 recommended times in D-76 1:1.* Just do this. Don't do anything else. Run tests first, of course, before your critical assignment. This should simplify your testing.

*If the sheet calls for 9 minutes, use 6-6.5 at most.
Ornello
Have You tried to develop high quality film like Neopan 100 or Delta 100 with bigger dillution? Last year I saw in exhibition large format B/W pictures (80 x110 cm) with perfect grade tonal and small grain. I asked author about "secret proccesing". He answered. " I used to 6x7 Mamiya camera and FP4+ film. Develop in D76 1+7 dillution. Final efect is rich tonal negative with all details in dark part and soft hight lights". What Do you think about this??
JW
"Try Neopan 100, Delta 100, or T-Max 100. Expose them at 50, not 100. Develop for about 2/3 recommended times in D-76 1:1. Just do this. Don't do anything else."

Asked and answered. By the way, use gentle agitation, just once per minute, invert tank gently, twice.

Keith Tapscott.
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:58 am
Location: Plymouth, England.

Post by Keith Tapscott. » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:32 am

JERZY wrote:
Ornello
Have You tried to develop high quality film like Neopan 100 or Delta 100 with bigger dillution? Last year I saw in exhibition large format B/W pictures (80 x110 cm) with perfect grade tonal and small grain. I asked author about "secret proccesing". He answered. " I used to 6x7 Mamiya camera and FP4+ film. Develop in D76 1+7 dillution. Final efect is rich tonal negative with all details in dark part and soft hight lights". What Do you think about this??
JW
I also have a Mamiya 6x7 roll film camera and you should be getting excellent finegrain prints with FP4 Plus developed with D-76, how are you exposing and developing your films agitation, temperature and time wise?
Is this the camera you are using yourself, or 35mm? :?:

Ornello
Posts: 875
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:49 am

Post by Ornello » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:01 am

Keith Tapscott. wrote:
JERZY wrote:
Ornello
Have You tried to develop high quality film like Neopan 100 or Delta 100 with bigger dillution? Last year I saw in exhibition large format B/W pictures (80 x110 cm) with perfect grade tonal and small grain. I asked author about "secret proccesing". He answered. " I used to 6x7 Mamiya camera and FP4+ film. Develop in D76 1+7 dillution. Final efect is rich tonal negative with all details in dark part and soft hight lights". What Do you think about this??
JW
I also have a Mamiya 6x7 roll film camera and you should be getting excellent finegrain prints with FP4 Plus developed with D-76, how are you exposing and developing your films agitation, temperature and time wise?
Is this the camera you are using yourself, or 35mm? :?:
Indeed, FP4 should make 11x enlargements with only a trace of grain.

Post Reply