New Member-searching for film/developer

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

ddanis

New Member-searching for film/developer

Post by ddanis »

Hi, just found this site off of Ilford's forum. I have recently gotten into black and white. I am shooting 6x9 (Fujica GL690 with assorted lenses.) I am searching for a film/developer that will give me 24x30 prints. I spent a week in a class/lab. I have been shooting Kodak T-max 100, developing in D76, printing on Ilford FB matte paper. I liked what I see, but want to see what is available. I like a smooth tonal range with fine grain and detail/sharpness and I really like Fiber paper. I display in a gallery and art shows. The past ten yeas have been with 35mm and digital. I have my own digital lab. Black and white has really got hold on me. I am up for learning more-feed me. Thanks Dick :mrgreen:

Ornello

Re: New Member-searching for film/developer

Post by Ornello »

ddanis wrote:Hi, just found this site off of Ilford's forum. I have recently gotten into black and white. I am shooting 6x9 (Fujica GL690 with assorted lenses.) I am searching for a film/developer that will give me 24x30 prints. I spent a week in a class/lab. I have been shooting Kodak T-max 100, developing in D76, printing on Ilford FB matte paper. I liked what I see, but want to see what is available. I like a smooth tonal range with fine grain and detail/sharpness and I really like Fiber paper. I display in a gallery and art shows. The past ten yeas have been with 35mm and digital. I have my own digital lab. Black and white has really got hold on me. I am up for learning more-feed me. Thanks Dick :mrgreen:
Although I am not fond of T-Max films, the combination of T-Max 100 with D-76 is probably near ideal for that film. This should not be surprising, since most films are designed to work well with D-76.

Two other films, Ilford Delta 100 and Fujifilm Acros 100 Neopan, are similar in quality. D-76 and many other developers are suitable for these as well. Avoid anything slower, such as Ilford Pan-F, because slower films have a more restricted tonal range due to their extremely fine grain. I like the combination of Neopan Acros 100 and Paterson FX-39 developer (at 1+14 dilution). It is basically unbeatable. Try this combo at 8 minutes development at 68F to start, and modify the time (not the dilution) to suit your needs. Do not dilute less than 1+14 (e.g., 1+9, etc.).

alienguru

Post by alienguru »

I'm using the same combination as well, but with TMY (iso 400) and I'm quite pleased. These days I heard many positive opinions about HC-110 and I wonder If i shouldn't move to it, at least for a try

Keith Tapscott.

Post by Keith Tapscott. »

alienguru wrote:I'm using the same combination as well, but with TMY (iso 400) and I'm quite pleased. These days I heard many positive opinions about HC-110 and I wonder If i shouldn't move to it, at least for a try
Unless you try something for your self, you will never know whether you like it or not. HC-110 has it`s followers although not everybody is impressed by it. This will come down to your own personal preference though.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/colum ... 9-15.shtml

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

alienguru wrote:I'm using the same combination as well, but with TMY (iso 400) and I'm quite pleased. These days I heard many positive opinions about HC-110 and I wonder If i shouldn't move to it, at least for a try
HC110 is basically a 'commercial' developer, not a high-quality one. In other words, it is intended for bulk processing of sheet films and 120 roll films, not 35mm film. There are many better developers.

Lowell Huff

FILM DEVELOPER

Post by Lowell Huff »

Available on this site is Clayton F-76 Developer. If you would like a sample, contact me and i will send a bottle.