Efke 127 R100 Wash, Develop, Stop, Fix. How is it done?

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

Greg Winterflood

Efke 127 R100 Wash, Develop, Stop, Fix. How is it done?

Post by Greg Winterflood »

Hello all. I'm new to this board and am just getting back into B&W.

I have 4 rolls of efke 127 R100 [from digitaltruth] to expose in my Baby Brownie.

I am seeking advice on the wet side of things at the moment. I have a Paterson small tank, a change bag, 415 grams of Kodak D-76, and 14 litres of demineralized water!!

I would appreciate advice, especially from people who have done this, on processing the exposed film. I need to gather some thoughts on washing before developing, developing, stopping and fixing.

I do have an enlarger; but thought that once I get the negs I might go digital, and scan them. That way the change bag should be all the dark room I need!

Ornello

Re: Efke 127 R100 Wash, Develop, Stop, Fix. How is it done?

Post by Ornello »

Greg Winterflood wrote:Hello all. I'm new to this board and am just getting back into B&W.

I have 4 rolls of efke 127 R100 [from digitaltruth] to expose in my Baby Brownie.

I am seeking advice on the wet side of things at the moment. I have a Paterson small tank, a change bag, 415 grams of Kodak D-76, and 14 litres of demineralized water!!

I would appreciate advice, especially from people who have done this, on processing the exposed film. I need to gather some thoughts on washing before developing, developing, stopping and fixing.

I do have an enlarger; but thought that once I get the negs I might go digital, and scan them. That way the change bag should be all the dark room I need!
Except that scanning imposes different requirements for negatives than does contact printing or enlarging. It isn't that simple. Color film negatives are easier to scan for a number of reasons too complex to go into here. In other words, you need to treat the film as though digital never existed.

Greg Winterflood

Contact Printing 127

Thanks Ornello. The final result I want is "retro" so I guess I really did have contact printing in mind. I was just trying to avoid the project of fashioning a darkroom!!

Ornello

Re: Contact Printing 127

Post by Ornello »

Greg Winterflood wrote:Thanks Ornello. The final result I want is "retro" so I guess I really did have contact printing in mind. I was just trying to avoid the project of fashioning a darkroom!!
Why?

Wirehead

Post by Wirehead »

Ornello wrote:
Greg Winterflood wrote:Thanks Ornello. The final result I want is "retro" so I guess I really did have contact printing in mind. I was just trying to avoid the project of fashioning a darkroom!!
Why?
Because enlargers are large, wheras my developing gear fits into a basket. Not everybody's got room for all the hardware.

I do agree, shooting-to-scan is much different than shooting-to-enlarge-optically.... although not in a bad way. The big thing to remember is that you have very limited tools to globally adjust contrast on the finished negative when printing optically.... either graded paper, or split-grading (or lith printing or split-toning)... wheras you can give any film any desired tonal curve.... e.g. making Acros look almost like Tri-X (except for the grain, of course).

The problem, of course, is output. Inkjet printers are a huge question mark and we've had some nasty surprises in the past. RA-4 (Type-C) photo printers have very poor linearization that is imperceptable with color photos but obnoxious as %!#$%^ with B&W photos. People who run real B&W paper through their digital printers are hard to find.

OTOH, alt-process prints are making a comeback because you can contact-print off of an inkjet transparency.

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

Wirehead wrote:
Ornello wrote:
Why?
Because enlargers are large, wheras my developing gear fits into a basket. Not everybody's got room for all the hardware..
This is funny.

Greg Winterflood

Ornello wrote:
Wirehead wrote:
Ornello wrote: Why?
Laziness maybe. As I said, I was trying to avoid fashioning a darkroom, which would entail turning my bathroom into a darkroom.

Since I posted the reply above I have discovered there is a darkroom at a nearby College - which I may be able to use. Also I have had some positive feedback about using scanners on B&W negatives.

I used to be a perfectionist - but at present I'm just wanting to develop (!) a bit of a hobby. Scanning sounds convenient. I have done wet darkroom work before. Maybe I'll do both.