Rollei Infrared 5 minute Presoak

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

Digitaltruth
Site Admin

Post by Digitaltruth »

Robert,

I feel it is necessary to defend the reputation of this film because you have been suggesting that there is something wrong with it. In fact, you continue to suggest this by saying that you doubt you are the only one who has had or will have a problem. Unfortunately, this is a common problem in photography where due to the technical nature of materials, there are bound to be individual circumstances or conditions under which a product is used which can lead to error. The reason I have entered this thread and continued this dialog is because I want to be sure that the product is 100% perfect and that as a customer you are fully satisfied. If there was a problem with the film, I'd want to know about it and do something about it quickly so that no other customers had the same issue.

I think it is important for anyone reading about this film, or any other product, to be clear on what are individual user issues, and what are wider manufacturing issues. Many people will avoid a product if there is one single mention of a technical problem, however unfounded the criticism may be. In this case you have suggested that there was a fault with the emulsion when there wasn't one. You also stated that by altering the prewash and washing sequence you could reduce the problem. This was obviously a subjective observation as its now proven to be incorrect.

I can only point to the facts:

This film is manufactured to an extremely high standard in a facility with state-of-the-art quality control. That is not the case for every film on the market, and in fact I would recommend this film for its consistency.

Thousands of rolls have been sold worldwide without any problems reported. I've developed and scanned this film myself, as have our own group of independent testers. You can see the results here:
http://www.digitaltruth.com/store/cart/ ... sp-14.html

Now that you have identified that the problem is being caused by your scanner, I think it is good to let people know that there is not a problem with the film or emulsion. Had you found a genuine fault with the film, we would be having a very different conversation and I would be fully supportive of letting all users know about it. Its just that this has proven not to be the case. Many people may read only the first postings in this thread, and as a result, come to the wrong conclusion. I only want people to reach the correct conclusion and this is best done by having a full and frank discussion. If you feel I have been too defensive, then all I can say is that I was only seeking the truth and the proof is now there for all to read about.
Digitaltruth Photo
https://www.digitaltruth.com

Keith Tapscott.

Post by Keith Tapscott. »

As Kodak HIE infra-red B/W film is to be discontinued, this film should prove to be a very popular alternative.

tri3mast

Post by tri3mast »

I agree that this film should become very popular.

I never used the Kodak, as it was just way past my acceptable level of grain and to darn fussy to load or handle.

My 11x17 proof prints are beautiful virtually grain less and sharp.

For those of you who wish grain then add the stuff in Photo Shop.

My hopes are to produce wall art in the 30x40 range from a medium format 645 camera with this film, which at this point I fully believe it’s capable of.

Shortly I’ll be introducing this film to studio portraiture and hope that my usage continues to increase.

Cheers

Robert in Canada

Keith Tapscott.

Post by Keith Tapscott. »

tri3mast wrote:
For those of you who wish grain then add the stuff in Photo Shop.

Cheers

Robert in Canada
I am very happy with the traditional `wet process`.

Cheers,

Keith. :wink:

tri3mast

Post by tri3mast »

My comment was not directed to anyone specific.

Let me attempt to rephrase it.

The Rollei Infrared is a very fine-grained ISO 400 film and that if a person wanted grain then to add it in whatever manor they prefer.

Robert in Canada