Cross-processing

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

ChaseColey

Cross-processing

Post by ChaseColey »

I've read on the the internet about developing colour films in B&W chemistry.

I just wanted to hear about anybody's first hand experiences, outcomes tips before rushing off and trying it.

Ornello

Re: Cross-processing

Post by Ornello »

ChaseColey wrote:I've read on the the internet about developing colour films in B&W chemistry.

I just wanted to hear about anybody's first hand experiences, outcomes tips before rushing off and trying it.
What is your goal? The color film's orange mask (used to help correct flaws in the dyes) makes printing such negatives very troublesome.

Why bother?

pentaxpete

Post by pentaxpete »

I don't think he would get the orange mask by using B/W chemistry as the mask is formed with colour developer. I think newspapers in London would process colour film in B/W chemistry if there was a 'Hot News' pic on the film so they could get 'something' printable but really it is a waste of time and effort-there will be a silver 'sub-layer'developed up which would be dissolved away in colour bleach but not of course in ordinary B/W fixer,so the negs would be very dense and grainy.
Got COMPUTERISED and 'slightly Digitised Pentax K10D' but FILM STILL RULES !

foolscape

Post by foolscape »

All of the images I've seen made from color film processed this way were horrible. I've never done it, but I'm considering it for a very old C-22 roll because the alternative is paying $49.50 to have it done by Rocky Mountain Film Labs. Other than that, I can't see any reason to do it. The results are just too unpredictable.

--Gary

ChaseColey

Post by ChaseColey »

the reason i wanted to do it is because i wanted to get the vibrant tint to a picture, but at our school we dont have the chemicals for colour negs
after some research and digging around i found out you can develop colour negs in B&W chemistry. i thought i might as well try it out

i asked my teacher at collage too and he said that they produce really flat horrible negs anyway

still might give it a ago on an out of date film i picked up in a charity shop

thanks.