Ilford Pan F+ - difficulty developing

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

ChaseColey

Ilford Pan F+ - difficulty developing

Post by ChaseColey »

I've developed 3 rolls of it, but it all ways come out under developed.

for iso 50
first time i used rodinal and thought maybe i'd just got the time or temp wrong.
second time rodinal and made sure i'd got everything perfect, still the same results.
and the 3rd time i used xtol thinking it might be because of the developer but still the same results.

if anyone with experience with it could tell me a suitable time, because i have a 120 roll that i want to get just right

sorry i'm relatively new to film photography

Keith Tapscott.

Re: Ilford Pan F+ - difficulty developing

Post by Keith Tapscott. »

ChaseColey wrote:I've developed 3 rolls of it, but it all ways come out under developed.

for iso 50
first time i used rodinal and thought maybe i'd just got the time or temp wrong.
second time rodinal and made sure i'd got everything perfect, still the same results.
and the 3rd time i used xtol thinking it might be because of the developer but still the same results.

if anyone with experience with it could tell me a suitable time, because i have a 120 roll that i want to get just right

sorry i'm relatively new to film photography
You might actually be under exposing a bit. Try setting your light meter at box speed (ISO 50) and make a series of three bracketed exposures starting with one stop more exposure than the meter indicates, then close your lens aperture down by half an f/stop for the 2nd exposure and expose the 3rd frame at the recommended meter setting using manual exposure mode. A contact sheet will help to show which one is of the correct density. Once you have found the right exposure for your film, you can adjust the film contrast by increasing development slightly or reduce it by decreasing the development time. Use a 10% adjustment to the development time in the desired direction to start with. Once calibrated, that will become your personal exposure setting and processing time for that film and developer.

pentaxpete

Post by pentaxpete »

You DID use a thermometer to measure the temperature did you-not just guess? In a school I was trying to help the teacher didn't realise the importance of temperature for developing films and was just giving the time in the instructions sheet but at a very LOW temperature!
Got COMPUTERISED and 'slightly Digitised Pentax K10D' but FILM STILL RULES !

ChaseColey

Post by ChaseColey »

I had everything perfect to the T

Temp, time and dilutions but they still came out flat, under developed. i found pushing it for an extra minute usually works best