F-76 equivalents

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

rmolson

F-76 equivalents

Post by rmolson »

F-76

I have been using F76 at the 1:9 dilution for some time which is about the equivalent to D-76 stock. I can’t seem to find the equivalent 1:1 dilution on the giant developing chart. IT shows a doubling of film speed and use of a higher temperature. I am not interested in pushing the film I want to try to get some the sharpness benefits of the old D-76 at 1:1.
Any one have any experience working at these dilutions

Digitaltruth
Site Admin

Post by Digitaltruth »

Try 1+14
Digitaltruth Photo
https://www.digitaltruth.com

Keith Tapscott.

Re: F-76 equivalents

Post by Keith Tapscott. »

rmolson wrote:F-76

I have been using F76 at the 1:9 dilution for some time which is about the equivalent to D-76 stock. I can’t seem to find the equivalent 1:1 dilution on the giant developing chart. IT shows a doubling of film speed and use of a higher temperature. I am not interested in pushing the film I want to try to get some the sharpness benefits of the old D-76 at 1:1.
Any one have any experience working at these dilutions
Despite the product name, I am sceptical that it performs the same as D-76. It`s probably more like Ilford Ilfosol or Fotospeed FD-10. Perhaps Lowell Huff will comment if he reads this thread.

Lowell Huff

Post by Lowell Huff »

Since we have been making this formula and its predicessor, F 60 Film Developer, for thirty years, Ilfords DD-X is very similar to our formula. It is a phenidone HQ formula and does not resemble the Metol HQ formula of KODAK D76. It is much more sophisticated in design and purpose than that 1920s formula.