is the ilford multigrade paper developer good with contrast?

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

Johnnybeebop

is the ilford multigrade paper developer good with contrast?

Post by Johnnybeebop »

i was wondering if the ilford multigrade paper developer was good for achieving rich whites and blacks? is it just a standard developer? if not what is a good paper developer that will bring out rich tones and a crisp image?

pentaxpete

Ilford Multigrade Developer

Post by pentaxpete »

Yes, it DOES give high contrast in my opinion on both resin coated and fibre papers, as I have used some (given) and got good results, even on outdated Ilford Ilfospeed which quickly goes soft!
Got COMPUTERISED and 'slightly Digitised Pentax K10D' but FILM STILL RULES !

Keith Tapscott.

Re: is the ilford multigrade paper developer good with contr

Post by Keith Tapscott. »

Johnnybeebop wrote:i was wondering if the ilford multigrade paper developer was good for achieving rich whites and blacks? is it just a standard developer? if not what is a good paper developer that will bring out rich tones and a crisp image?
Multigrade is the only paper developer I use these days. It provides a very good yield IMHO with all the papers that I have used, whether graded or variable contrast. At the standard dilution of 1+9, try 60 to 90 seconds for RC papers and 90 to 150 seconds for FB papers.

Lowell Huff

Post by Lowell Huff »

Many print processors, both labs and photographers, tell us that they find that our Clayton P90 Print Developer is very good for art and landscape shots and our Clayton Ultra Cold Tone Print Developer is fantastic for head shots.

PeanutHorst

Post by PeanutHorst »

Lowell Huff wrote:Many print processors, both labs and photographers, tell us that they find that our Clayton P90 Print Developer is very good for art and landscape shots and our Clayton Ultra Cold Tone Print Developer is fantastic for head shots.
*cough cough* advertising *cough cough*
Personally I find that Ilford PQ Universal will work well on ANYTHING that is photosensitive - I use it at 1:29 on film and 1:9 on paper :)
My cameras:

Ricoh XR-1s, 55mm SMC Pentax lense
Asahi Pentax KX, Astron 28-70mm lense
Rolleiflex 3.5C
Zeiss Ikonta
Linhoff large-format camera

Lowell Huff

Post by Lowell Huff »

Just because I am the manufacturer of Clayton Chemistry, please show me the difference from me saying that I think well of our products and anyone else saying that they like another product. cough cough! Additionally, when asked for technical assistance I respond ASAP, can you find that level of service anywhere else?