1950's Leica lenses: Any opinons?

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

kcf

1950's Leica lenses: Any opinons?

Post by kcf »

I've just bought a 1957 50mm Summicron that I'm trying out. What is the difference between the 1950's lenses and the current ones? I understand the older the lens, the worse the center-to-edge focus loss, contrast loss and light fall-off. But there are people who prefer the older lenses. Is there actually anything to recommend them over modern ones?

Also, this lens has cleaning marks that I am told will not affect the pictures. Do cleaning marks actually have no effect on pictures? If they were to have an effect, what should one watch for in the photographs?

Ornello

Re: 1950's Leica lenses: Any opinons?

Post by Ornello »

kcf wrote:I've just bought a 1957 50mm Summicron that I'm trying out. What is the difference between the 1950's lenses and the current ones? I understand the older the lens, the worse the center-to-edge focus loss, contrast loss and light fall-off. But there are people who prefer the older lenses. Is there actually anything to recommend them over modern ones?

Also, this lens has cleaning marks that I am told will not affect the pictures. Do cleaning marks actually have no effect on pictures? If they were to have an effect, what should one watch for in the photographs?
Older Leica lenses are of course inferior to the latest versions. Less contrast than newer versions, poorer sharpness, but still probably better than most contemporary SLR zooms. Advances in glass types and computation of curves distinguish modern Leica lenses.

Cleaning marks can be scratches, and as such they may cause a slight amount of flare, loweing contrast.

pentaxpete

Post by pentaxpete »

I have a 1957 90mm f4 collapsible Elmar for my m2 and m6 : I got very good results, then found it had misted up inside; it cost £90 from Leitz Milton Keynes to clean out ! It's OK now.
Got COMPUTERISED and 'slightly Digitised Pentax K10D' but FILM STILL RULES !

kcf

Post by kcf »

Here is my first picture using the 1957 Summicron 50mm. Any opinions about image quality?

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

kcf wrote:Here is my first picture using the 1957 Summicron 50mm. Any opinions about image quality?
I cannot tell from so small a size, but it appears good. Do I see grain? What film is this? No grain should be visible at this size.

kcf

Post by kcf »

Tri-x in D-76.

pentaxpete

Post by pentaxpete »

I don't know how to put on 'links' such as 'here' but here is one taken on the 1957 f4 collapsible Elmar, kodak Ektachrome Elite 100.
[Open Image] [Hosted by PhotoGalaxy.com]
Got COMPUTERISED and 'slightly Digitised Pentax K10D' but FILM STILL RULES !

kcf

Post by kcf »

Fun shot, Pentaxpete. I like the way that lens renders. It's beautiful.

I actually don't know how to post an image here, so I have to do the BBCode link (just click the BBCode link below the message box when you write a reply and it will explain how to do a link).

Anybody know anything about Leica Hektor lenses? I have a line on a 1949 F4.5 135 for $59.

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

kcf wrote:Tri-x in D-76.
What dilution and time? What printing set-up? What paper?

kcf

Post by kcf »

Didn't print it. Scanned it on a cheap scanner, an Epson 4180.

D-76 1:1 for 6:50. Shot at 200.

kcf

Post by kcf »

Actually, that was shot at 400 and developed 9:45 in 1:1 D-76.