Ilford acquires Kentmere Photographic.

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott.

Ilford acquires Kentmere Photographic.

Post by Keith Tapscott. »

Ornello

Re: Ilford acquires Kentmere Photographic.

Post by Ornello »

pirateoversixty

Post by pirateoversixty »

Read Simon's posting on Photo.net, and a little red flag went up in my peanut sized brain. Agreed there may be pros and cons to this merger, but I can't help but think that there will be an adverse effect to Kentmere. They have a very good product, have been around a long time, and a good reputation. Admittedlly, this applys to Ilford as well. They seem determined to solidify their position since reorganization. But, Kentmere, as far as I know, which is very little, gave no indication that they were going belly-up, as did Ilford. Better management? Maybe so. A better chance for both to survive by joining forces? Not so sure. Gut instinct tells me that Kentmere will lose its identity in a couple years. I don't know. It just doesn't hit me right.
Jim

rolleinut

Post by rolleinut »

I don't think it is good news. I expect they will discontinue some products that are a duplication. In addition they will raise prices and most likely quit making private label paper for folks such as Arista.
Wesley Martinson

pentaxpete

Post by pentaxpete »

I was introduced to Kentmere in 1958 when I was a photographer in the Civil Service, Ministry of Aviation. The boss there had an account. It was much CHEAPER than Ilford, Kodak or Agfa papers. I used thousands of sheets about 15 years ago doing press prints for some clients until they were forced to go to colour by the newspapers, and were not allowed to submit B/W prints any more. Then Kentmere started putting up their prices drastically.
Got COMPUTERISED and 'slightly Digitised Pentax K10D' but FILM STILL RULES !

melek

Post by melek »

Sometimes, if you can't beat the competition, you buy them and then kill off their product or make it your own.

I'm not saying this is the case here, and maybe a stronger Ilford is good for the traditional photography market.

But acquire, snuff it out and move on has happened before.

pirateoversixty

Post by pirateoversixty »

Melek:

An interesting thought. Almost conspiracy theory. But, in todays world, who knows? If Ilford thought Kentmere was such a threat, I would think that they would have bought them out years ago. I don't know. An interesting thought, none the less.
Jim