Adox ORT 25 developer

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

foolscape

Adox ORT 25 developer

Post by foolscape »

I just started using Adox ORT 25, and I was wondering what developer is best to use with it. I've heard that paper developers will work with ortho films, and that standard film developers will give too much contrast. I want pictorial tones. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!
--Gary

imageboy

Re: Adox ORT 25 developer

Post by imageboy »

HI, I used similar film Rollei Ortho 25, I rated at ISO 12, and use Pota , it come out ( tonal range ) as good as others "Normal"combo.
Its better than Rodinal,TD-3 as I tested, but you need to mix every time before dev.
My dilution is 80:80:1200 (for jobo 4x5 tank), dev time 14 mins. hope this help !
Lee

imageboy

Post by imageboy »

Sorry, the dilution of POTA should be with 1.2 L water, dev 14 mins only, the ( 80:80:120 ) dilution, I mixed -up with Beulter HD Dev.!!

Murray Kelly

Post by Murray Kelly »

Imageboy you have me totally confused. The formula for POTA that I've seen is

Sodium Sulfite (anhydrous) 30 g
Phenidone 1.5 g
Cold water to make 1L

so what does the 80:80:120 refer to, please?
Murray

foolscape

Post by foolscape »

Thanks! I'll give POTA a shot.

--Gary

imageboy

Post by imageboy »

Sorry again make confused. The dilution is 80:80:1200 of Beulter HD Dev is for Fuji Acros 4x5 in Jobo tank.
And I mixed POTA developer into 1.2 L water ( more diluted as recommended 1 L) for Rollei Ortho 25. Sorry for my poor english.
Lee

Murray Kelly

Post by Murray Kelly »

Ah! Thank you, Lee.
Murray

Keith Tapscott.

Post by Keith Tapscott. »

I'm sure one of these developers should provide satisfactory results.
http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.ph ... mdc=Search

Murray Kelly

Post by Murray Kelly »

Thanks, Keith, but my experience over many years doesn't quite equate to these times etc.
The expectation of results is the thing that varies, of course. Folk like contrast these days - I am still in the multi-grays as possible' camp.
I am undergoing a switch from ultra-dilute to ultra-low pH. I am starting to believe the former is a poor way to control pH.
//background// - I 'discovered' Beutler in 1958 with Adox films and swore there couldn't be a better way to control KB14 etc. Now, 50 years on I am not so 'cockey' . The microfilms are so tempting but controlling them is something else again!
Murray

Keith Tapscott.

If I want extremely fine-grain and high resolution, I would look at something like Ilford Delta 100 (around E.I.50-64) developed in diluted Perceptol, which I know from seeing prints from users of this combination, to provide outstanding quality prints that are literally grain-less and extremely sharp. This is even from 35mm and enlargements from MF and LF negatives are absolutely stunning.
I have to say that the charm of messing around with finicky, ultra-slow films like Rollei ATP 1.1 and Gigabit, along with specially formulated low-contrast developers escapes me.

Gary, why an awful-chromatic, (I mean ortho-chromatic) film instead of panchromatic? (Sorry, couldn't resist). :lol:

http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.ph ... mdc=Search

Keith Tapscott.

Jon, what's happened to the quote tab and why aren't the smiley's working?

foolscape

Post by foolscape »

"Gary, why an awful-chromatic, (I mean ortho-chromatic) film instead of panchromatic? (Sorry, couldn't resist)."

Different film sees the world in different ways. Half of the fun of photography for me is experimentation. Sure, I produce fewer usable images than I would like, but there are plenty of pleasant surprises along the way.

That said... I'm souring on some of the film that I've been trying. I've had way too many imperfections in the Efke & Adox sheet film. I had an entire box of Adox ORT 25 4x5 that had hundreds of tiny splotches in the center. I just developed a few sheets of Efke PL 25 that had tiny hair-like breaks in the emulsion that I didn't notice until I tried to enlarge. Fomapan (Arista.edu) films have reciprocity curves that add hours to night exposures. For the most part, I've made up my mind to move to Kodak, Ilford, Fuji for most of my work. I may even try Delta films in 4x5, even though I had sworn off to T-grain films. The new T-max 400 helped me change my mind. The only problem I have with the more modern films is their lack of response to Zone System expansion and contraction, and their lack of response to different chemistry such as high or low contrast developers. From what I have read, T-grain films are designed to give the same results no matter what soup you put it in. I could be wrong, though. Anyone with differing experience may feel free to correct me. I don't have any sacred cows in this herd.

--Gary

Keith Tapscott.

Postby foolscape » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:56 pm

Different film sees the world in different ways. Half of the fun of photography for me is experimentation. Sure, I produce fewer usable images than I would like, but there are plenty of pleasant surprises along the way.

That said... I'm souring on some of the film that I've been trying. I've had way too many imperfections in the Efke & Adox sheet film. I had an entire box of Adox ORT 25 4x5 that had hundreds of tiny splotches in the center. I just developed a few sheets of Efke PL 25 that had tiny hair-like breaks in the emulsion that I didn't notice until I tried to enlarge. Fomapan (Arista.edu) films have reciprocity curves that add hours to night exposures. For the most part, I've made up my mind to move to Kodak, Ilford, Fuji for most of my work. I may even try Delta films in 4x5, even though I had sworn off to T-grain films. The new T-max 400 helped me change my mind.
The only problem I have with the more modern films is their lack of response to Zone System expansion and contraction, and their lack of response to different chemistry such as high or low contrast developers. From what I have read, T-grain films are designed to give the same results no matter what soup you put it in. I could be wrong, though. Anyone with differing experience may feel free to correct me. I don't have any sacred cows in this herd.

--Gary
Ilford FP4 Plus and HP5 Plus is all I use these days, although I have a few rolls of Pan F Plus left in 120 to use up. Have you considered Ilford Ortho Plus for large- format?

foolscape

Post by foolscape »

I just bought a box of 4x5. I'm working my way through a box of 8x10. I have to special order it.

--Gary

foolscape

Post by foolscape »

Interestingly enough, the POTA worked just fine with Ilford Ortho +. I haven't shot the Adox yet. Soon, though.

According to the Film Developing Cookbook, POTA was developed to photograph nuclear blasts. Egad!

--Gary