Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

Ornello

Developing B&W film

Post by Ornello »

A useful item:

http://imaging.kodakalaris.com/sites/ua ... y/z133.pdf

Most important:

"0.58 is the contrast-index aim for printing negatives with a diffusion enlarger; use 0.43 if you will print negatives with a condenser enlarger."

pirateoversixty

Re: Developing B&W film

Post by pirateoversixty »

ornello:
my eyes glazed over before I finished the article, but aren't these procedures geared more for the lab(commercial) people? I'm sorry, maybe I zonked out before I got to the part about condenser/diffusion enlargers. also, I have not seen test strips for amateur bw use before.
jim

Ornello

Post by Ornello »

pirateoversixty wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:59 am ornello:
my eyes glazed over before I finished the article, but aren't these procedures geared more for the lab(commercial) people? I'm sorry, maybe I zonked out before I got to the part about condenser/diffusion enlargers. also, I have not seen test strips for amateur bw use before.
jim
Well, I don't know if Kodak still sells them. My point in posting this was to show that Kodak recommends less development for condenser enlargers. What's odd is that no further information is provided. What grade of paper? What lens? What brand of enlarger? All of these can affect contrast.

Yak_Forger

Post by Yak_Forger »

That's one of the reasons to think it was mostly aimed at shops rather than at individual users: the owner of said shop will have to develop lots of different types of film, and should be able to adapt Kodak's general instructions to everything they are tasked to develop.