Dumb Cinestill 50D mistake

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

brianentz

Dumb Cinestill 50D mistake

Post by brianentz »

I took a roll of Cinestill 50 out and made a half dozen exposures. Brought it home and foolishly put the wrong slip in the memo holder. I put my Adox CMS 20 slip in there and so the next time I took out the camera I shot the balance of the roll at 12 ISO. I know some people routinely shoot Cinestil 50 at 25 and then normal develop. I'm inclined to pull process the roll by one stop as the best solution, even though I am finding very little information on pull processing Cinestill 50. The first 6 exposures will suffer as they were shot at 50 ISO, but I'm trying to see what I can recover of the remaining 30.
Any thoughts?

joncallas

Re: Dumb Cinestill 50D mistake

Post by joncallas »

You're not going to like this answer. It's still the best I can do.

You have a roll where some were shot normally and some had a two-stop pull. I think the count of exposures is not relevant because there are plenty of times when the pic I really wanted was just one of the whole roll and if I could magically made that one perfect the rest fall where they may, I'd do that.

Anyway -- some are box speed, some are two-stop pull. Develop the whole roll at a one-stop pull. Cinestill 50 is a lot better on latitude than many color stocks. You'll have some color shifting, but not a lot. Assuming you're doing to scan the negs, you can fix in post, too.

See, I said you wouldn't like it. The alternative is to pick one or the other, really.

brianentz

Re: Dumb Cinestill 50D mistake

Post by brianentz »

No, I think you're right. The 30 will be a stop overexposed, but it's color neg film so... okay. I think that's the best plan.