First time processing film, a question about my results.

Film Photography & Darkroom discussion

Moderator: Keith Tapscott.

Siperpir8

First time processing film, a question about my results.

Post by Siperpir8 »

Hi all, so I did my first time processing a black and white Ilford delta 3200 film and I had some funny lines on my first photo that I am wondering what it was caused by.
https://imgur.com/gallery/yeTTRlR
I checked if it was the spool as I was trying to feed it on but nothing matches with the lines.

Keith Tapscott.

Re: First time processing film, a question about my results.

Post by Keith Tapscott. »

It would help us if you give us details about exposure, developer, time, temperature etc, along with the dilution used.
The negative looks very thin and lacking in details.

joncallas

Post by joncallas »

My guess is that this is scratched / crinkled negatives.

I had this exact problem the first time I used JCH Street Pan which is on a polyester base and I got it all fouled up while getting it on the tank reel.

photoronto

Post by photoronto »

These are not likely scratches. Since they appear dark on the negative, there must be light or pressure (or other stress) affecting the silver in the emulsion. Scratches would not appear black on the neg. The most common stress defect from processing medium format is the 'crescent' which forms when the film is kinked while trying to load it, wither onto a spool or a machine. These look more like static electricity discharges made while the film is being advanced or unwound too quickly. This is much more commonly seen on 35 mm film, and is usually the result of rewinding too quickly in a very dry environment (Winter). Having said this, I admit I have never seen film damaged quite this badly from static alone.

Jollybox

Post by Jollybox »

Wow, that is a conundrum for sure.. If the lines appear only on the first frame, then my guess would be some stress related artifact of actually trying to get the film loaded. You say its the first time processing a film - Was getting the film onto the reel a pain in the .ss? was everything dry in the situation you were loading in (changing bag - sweaty fingers) dry reel? dusty?
In my experience I have found that I could not get used to plastic reels with the little ball bearings (paterson type). I have screwed up more film in more formats than I care to admit. My personal epiphany came when I switched to Hewes stainless steel reels - have not had a miss roll - crescent moon white marks etc.. that goes for 35mm, 127, 120, 220 formats.
Please update us in how you progress - don't give up :)

dejawitting

Post by dejawitting »

Please let us know about the exposure, developer, time, temperature, etc., as well as the amount that was used.
The negative seems to be very thin and lacks features.